In 1281 king D. Dinis granted a Market Charter to the village, ordering that a market should be held three times a year. This was the first market to take place regularly in the kingdom of Portugal, and on entering the market shed, you can almost hear the voices of those buying and selling, an activity as old as the world itself.
The village is named after the first commander of the fort, D. Mendo Mendes, appointed by D. Dinis in the 14th century. It is possible to make out a stone sculpture on one of the walls of the old prison, which according to popular tradition represents Mendo, and on another house nearby the representation of Menda.
This is therefore known as the house of Menda, the wife of Mendo.
This is a very authentic village, surrounded by a landscape of wide valleys, whose narrow lanes are lined with simple stone houses. It is so peaceful that it is difficult to imagine that in former times the medieval castle and walls were military bastions.