www.visitportugal.com

Live Chat

Igreja da Graça - Santarém

Igreja da Graça - Santarém
The Igreja da Graça dates from the 14th century (1380) and its construction was the result of the determination shown by D. Afonso Telo de Menezes, the first Count of Ourém, who decided to found an Augustinian monastery in the town. This church reveals the splendour of the flamboyant Gothic style, following the architectural and decorative innovations that were dictated by the Monastery of Batalha.

The façade is one of the most interesting aspects of this church.  It is harmoniously marked by an elegant doorway of archivolts surmounted by an ogee arch, which was a very common feature of the flamboyant Gothic style, and surrounded by a finely decorated frame that fills the whole space of the church´s central body. Higher up is an impressive rose-window of great quality, said to have been made from a single block of stone, revealing the stylistic maturity of the artists.

One of the particular features of this church is the change in level in relation to the outside. By descending a few steps, we gain access to the spacious three-naved interior, divided by large columns. The chancel, a little lower down still, is covered by a groin vault of pointed arches and decorated with high windows that illuminate the altar. The illumination is completed by the rose-window and the various smaller windows running along the main body of the church, revealing a perfect understanding of the Gothic structure.

In the south transept (to the Epistle side) is the joint tomb of D. Pedro de Menezes, the grandson of the founder, and D. Beatriz Coutinho, his wife. Their sculptures are lying hand in hand, in the manner of the tombs at the Monastery of Batalha. A faithful servant of D. João I, he was Governor of Ceuta between 1415 and 1437, the first Count of Vila Real and the second Count of Viana do Alentejo. In the flamboyant decoration of his tomb, we can see his device represented on several occasions: an olive branch and the word "Aleo" in an allusion to the pride of this warrior, who helped in the conquest of Ceuta (in 1415).

Opposite the altar, in the south apsidal chapel, we can find the funerary stone of Pedro Álvares Cabral, with a simple Gothic inscription.
Contacts
Adresse
Largo da Graça ou Largo Pedro Álvares Cabral  2000-091 SANTARÉM
Téléphone
+351 243 304 441
Fax
+351 243 304 400

mardi et mercredi, samedi et dimanche: 09h30-12h30 / 14h00-17h30; jeudi et vendredi: 10h00-12h30 / 14h00-17h30. Fermé: lundi et jours fériés.

Explorez Explorez
Voir plus
Carte
Avis des utilisateurs
sonia.cfa
Há quem apelide como piscina natural, há quem lhe chame de praia fluvial. (...)
lisbononthego
Sintra é uma cidade e município da costa de Lisboa. Neste passeio vamos (...)
Évènements Évènements
Voir plus
Festival National de Gastronomie
Festival National de Gastronomie
Régalez-vous avec la gastronomie portugaise, lors de la principale (...)
Recherche avancée
Planification Consultez les contenus sélectionnés et créez votre plan de voyage ou votre brochure
Vous avez oublié votre mot de passe ?
Connectez-vous par les réseaux sociaux
*Veuillez attendre. *Instructions relatives à la récupération du mot de passe envoyées avec succès à votre adresse e-mail. *E-mail non envoyé. Veuillez réessayer.
Connectez-vous par les réseaux sociaux