Santuário de Nossa Senhora da Abadia
According to legend, the image of the Virgin Mary was found in a naturally formed cave close to the church, where there is a spring of clear water. Originally a Romanesque foundation, the church was profoundly remodelled. The baroque interior contains a remarkable image of the Virgin Mary, dating from the 14th century. On the façade, rebuilt in 1725, attention is drawn to the 17th-century azulejos on the balcony, from where mass is celebrated on special feast days, in front of the assembled pilgrims. Above the portico, there are two beautiful rocaille coats of arms, that of the Congregation of Alcobaça and the monogram of the Virgin Mary.
A very popular pilgrimage to this shrine is held on 15 August each year.