Convento e Capela de Nossa Senhora da Esperança
Intimately connected to the worship of Santo Cristo dos Milagres, the convent and Chapel were built in 1545. Subsequent alterations were made, including the curious quadrangular tower with various levels of windows.
Key features of the interior include the main altar covered in gilded woodwork and azulejo tile panels.
The lower choir, covered by 18th century azulejo tiles, depicting historical scenes, was produced by António de Oliveira Bernardes, and provides access to the chapel dedicated to Santo Cristo. The image of Christ is surrounded by a gilded woodwork altarpiece and forms part of a valuable treasury, encompassing a collection of jewels accumulated since the 18th century, including a diamond and ruby encrusted crown of thorns, a sceptre, cane and sheaf of corn, thus constituting a magnificent collection of gold, silver and relics.