Castelo dos Mouros - Sintra
Winding over two ridges of the Serra de Sintra, the Moorish Castle dates back to the early days of the Moorish occupation of the Peninsula - the 8th Century.
After various attempts it was definitively taken by Dom Afonso Henriques in 1147, and there was built the first Christian Chapel of the borough, dedicated to São Pedro de Penaferrim.
In the romantic period, about 1860, the walls were restored under the supervision of Dom Fernando II, husband of Dona Maria II, who afforested the surrounding areas, and gave the old medieval ruins a new dignity. Of note are the Moorish Cistern in the interior, and the so-called Royal Tower.
Located about 3.5 km from the historical centre of Sintra.
Winter (25 October-1 March): 10am–6pm (Last ticket 5pm);
Summer (2 March-24 October) 9.30am–8pm (Last ticket 7pm).