The Church of the Most Holy Trinity is situated within the enclosure of the Sanctuary of Fátima, on the opposite side of the Basilica. It was inaugurated in 2007 but had been planned since 1973. In fact since then there had been the need to build a (...)
The construction of this sanctuary dedicated to Santa Luzia and the Sacred Heart of Jesus was begun in 1904 and continued until 1959. Designed by architect Miguel Ventura Terra, who was succeeded by architect Miguel Nogueira after the death of his (...)
The Church of Our Lady of Conception, otherwise known locally as the Royal Basilica, was built on the orders of king João V (1706-1750) on the site of a pre-existing place of worship. It is currently the matrix church of Castro Verde.It is well (...)
Santo Cristo de Outeiro Minor BasilicaConstruction began in 1698 in the wake of a miracle that occurred in a small chapel next door and the Santo Cristo Sanctuary was completed in first half of the 18th century. Endowed with archaic characteristics (...)
Count Raczinski wrote about this library in "Les Arts au Portugal" in the following terms: «it is the most beautiful, most richly decorated library that I have ever seen». In fact, the beautiful and noble interior of this sumptuous space, built (...)
Porto City CouncilThis striking building, harking back to the architecture of the great communal palaces of the north of Europe, is set at the top of the Avenida dos Aliados (Avenue of the Allies).Construction began on this robust, imposing building (...)
Founded back in 1392, the Boa Nova Chapel is dedicated to São Clemente das Penhas (St Clement of Cliffs). It belonged to a small Franciscan monastery that in 1478 opted to move onto the better-sheltered Conceição estate.
Standing on the site of a former Moorish mosque, the building was restored in 1499 as a Misericórdia (Mercy) Chapel. Rebuilt after the earthquake of 1755, it nevertheless retains some of its earlier gothic features, namely the doorway, the triumphal (...)
Until the construction of the actual Cathedral into the has been the first Viana’s Cathedral. Traditionally known as “Matriz Velha” (“Old Cathedral”), it was renamed “Capela das Almas” due to the fact that its churchyard was a funeral place since (...)
*Please wait*The password recovery instructions will be sent to your e-mail.*E-mail not sent. Try again.
Login using social networks