The Castelo de São Jorge is one of Lisbon’s most distinctive monuments, being situated on the city’s highest hill.The oldest known fortification at this spot dates from the 2nd century BC, although some of the remains found here date from as far (...)
Sagres or the Promontorium Sacrum. This location evokes the memory of the Infante D. Henrique and the Portuguese discoveries. The southwesternmost point in the European continent, was already referred to in antiquity as the Promontorium Sacrum, (...)
Winding over two ridges of the Serra de Sintra, the Moorish Castle dates back to the early days of the Moorish occupation of the Peninsula - the 8th Century.After various attempts it was definitively taken by Dom Afonso Henriques in 1147, and there (...)
Capuchos Convent, also known as Santa Cruz or the Cork Convent, was built in 1560 by Dom Álvaro de Castro, in fulfilment of a vow by his father, Dom João de Castro, who was Viceroy of India. Its tiny cells, little chapel, refectory and other (...)
The creation of the University of Évora dates back to the sixteenth century when the Cardinal D. Henrique, 1st Archbishop of Évora, with the consent of King João III, ordered the construction of a building to house the community of (...)
*Please wait*The password recovery instructions will be sent to your e-mail.*E-mail not sent. Try again.
Login using social networks