COVID-19 | Measures implemented in Portugal
Measures Implemented in Portugal
[Updated on 19 September]
To enter in Portugal (including Azores and Madeira), it is no longer required a proof of a negative COVID test or to present a COVID-EU digital certificate or vaccination or recovery certificate issued by third countries, accepted or recognized in Portugal.
Measures in force may be reviewed in accordance to the evolution of the pandemic.
IMPORTANT: Before traveling, it is important to confirm the entry formalities and procedures with the airline company and the Portuguese border service - SEF (www.sef.pt / firstname.lastname@example.org), the entity responsible for the border control. Please be advised that you should arrive at the airport beforehand and take into account the necessary procedures for domestic and international flights. If you're traveling during peak times like early morning, evening or summer, or during holidays and other events, please plan accordingly and allow for extra time.
RULES IN MAINLAND PORTUGAL
- Mandatory mask in:
- Health facilities and services.
Use of a mask recommended by the DGS (Portuguese Directorate-General for Health), by anyone over the age of 10, in:
- Closed environments and people gatherings;
- Public and passenger transport, including air transport, taxis and similar transport (TVDE);
- In confirmed cases of COVID-19, in all circumstances, whenever the person is out of the isolation place until the 10th day after the date of onset of symptoms or positive test.
- General behavior guidelines
- Social distancing;
- Frequent hand washing;
- Respiratory etiquette.
RULES IN MADEIRA
- The use of a mask is mandatory, for persons from the age of 6:
- Health facilities and services, including pharmacies;
- In confirmed cases of COVID-19, in all circumstances, whenever the person is out of the isolation place, until the 10th day after the onset of symptoms or a positive test result.
Clean & Safe
In tourism, the “Clean & Safe” seal was implemented; allowing tourists to have increased security and confidence in the use of accommodation establishments, in the various tourist services and tourist attractions.
National measures - https://dre.pt/dre/geral/legislacao-covid-19 (in Portuguese)
Azores - www.visitazores.com / https://www.visitazores.com/en/trip-info / https://destinoseguro.azores.gov.pt
Madeira - www.visitmadeira.pt / www.madeira.gov.pt/Covid19 / https://covidmadeira.pt
Updated information on the evolution of the COVID-19 pandemic in Portugal at WHO - World Health Organization (https://covid19.who.int/region/euro/country/pt) or at DGS – Portuguese General Directorate of Health (https://covid19.min-saude.pt/).
If you are a foreigner visitor and want to do the test for Covid-19 shortly after arrival, before departure or at any time in mainland Portugal or Madeira you can do it:
- at the Airport. Information at https://www.ana.pt/en/corporate/ana/faq;
- in a laboratory approved by the Portuguese Health General Directorate. Find the list at https://covid19.min-saude.pt/infoadrpcc/;
- if you are in the Algarve, you find information about testing points at www.visitalgarve.pt
More Travel Information
At the European Union website - https://reopen.europa.eu - you can find information on each country about borders, available means of transport, travel restrictions, health and public safety measures, as well as other practical information.
To know which are the travel regulations all around the world, check the map at the IATA Travel Centre.
The Portuguese airports (Lisboa, Porto, Faro, Ponta Delgada e Funchal) have implemented several initiatives to keep staff and passengers safer. More information at https://www.ana.pt/en/passenger-guide/what-you-need-to-know/covid-19
If you are Portuguese or you live in Portugal, in case you have a scheduled trip, you should consult the restrictions in each country on the Portal das Comunidades:
If you are travelling and you need support on your return to Portugal, you can contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs:
Portuguese travellers line - email@example.com/ +351 217 929 714 / +351 961 706 472