Mosteiro de Santa Maria de Cárquere
According to an ancient legend, the origin of the settlement is linked to the church which the Count D. Henrique ordered to be built in 1099 in memory of a miracle as a result of which D. Afonso Henriques (the first king of Portugal) had been cured of a congenital illness.
The church is of Manueline design and the main-chapel has a late thirteenth century Gothic style. The church contains remarkable effigies, such as a fourteenth century sculpture of Our Lady, the White, in Ançã stone and an ivory sculpture of Nossa Senhora de Cárquere.
Processions are held on the fourth Sunday in May and other festivities are celebrated from time to time.