From Rossio to the Almeida Moreira house Museum
The town hall is located on the west side of the square, dating from the second half of the 19th century. In the interior atrium, visitors should note the large wrought iron chandelier and painted allegories on the ceiling, that allude to Lusitanian heroes, by José de Almeida e Silva (1864-1945).
On the east side of the square, we see a branch of the Bank of Portugal, designed by architect Adães Bermudes. There is an exquisite garden overlooking the square, on the northern side. The access ramp to the garden, features various azulejo panels by Joaquim Lopes (1886-1956), representing traditional activities.
On the right-hand side of the garden square, visitors should observe the beautiful 17th-century neoclassical palace, with a curved facade that features a coat of arms. The Almeida Moreira House-Museum, which was the residence of the first director of the Grão Vasco Museum, is located slightly further up.
On the southern side of the Rossio, in a beautiful corner decorated with gardens, visitors should note the Church of the Terceiros de S. Francisco, that has a double staircase, and represents a fine example of baroque architecture. The church is located before one of the entrances to the Aquilino Ribeiro Park, a pleasant green zone in the city centre.