Câmara Municipal do Porto
This striking building, harking back to the architecture of the great communal palaces of the north of Europe, is set at the top of the Avenida dos Aliados (Avenue of the Allies).
Construction began on this robust, imposing building in 1920, according to the design of architect António Correia da Silva, it was only fully completed in 1955.
At the centre, there is a 70m clock tower whose bells ring out as a symbol of the importance given by city citizens to civic life.
The statue in front, by sculptor Barata Feio, is a 1954 study of poet Almeida Garrett (1799-1854).