Mercado de Escravos - Lagos
In 1444, the first slaves brought from Africa arrived in Lagos, thus originating the first slave market. The first floor was used as an Inspector's Office, Customs House, Guard House and Military Prison.
The symbology associated to this slave market was connected to popular tradition. It is known that the first slave market - for slaves brought by the caravels sailing from Africa - was held in the Rossio da Trindade, next to the town gates.
The ground floor is currently occupied by an art gallery. The upper floor, (constituted by a single room) features the coat of arms of the Marquis of Nisa engraved on the façade.