Aqueduto da Amoreira - Elvas
Dating from 1498, building of the Aqueduct was initially overseen by Francisco de Arruda, an architect who worked on the Tower of Belém in Lisbon. The works were subsequently continued by Afonso Álvares, Diogo Marques and Pero Vaz Pereira, who finally concluded the aqueduct in 1622.
With a total extension of around 8 km, key features include the main section, constituted by four levels of arcades supported on buttresses - one of the ex-libris images of Elvas. It was subject to important conservation works in the 19th century.