Basílica Real - Castro Verde
A Royal Basilica in the heart of the village.
The Church of Our Lady of the Conception, known locally as the Royal Basilica, was rebuilt during the first half of the 18th century, on the site of the original parish headquarters, by the patronage of King João V - who, as master of the Order of Santiago, intended to honour the village in whose vicinity the battle of Ourique took place, which was decisive for the assertion of Portugal as an independent kingdom.
The Battle of Ourique occurred on July 25 (day of Saint James) in 1139 and saw the first king of Portugal, D. Afonso Henriques, take on the Muslims, with victory to the Portuguese king.
It is presently the main church of Castro Verde and it was around this building that the urban layout of the village developed.
The grandiose scale of the building, designed by João Antunes, a famous architect of the military orders of Santiago and Avis, jumps out from its urban backdrop and is visible from a distance. But the monument is also noteworthy for its fixed and moveable heritage, in particular the tile panels and mural paintings - in which the national importance of that warlike event is highlighted - the gilded and polychrome altars, and the Marian imagery.
In one of the sacristies there is a museum: the Treasury of the Royal Basilica, where you can admire objects from various parishes in the county, such as the shrine-head of Saint Fabius, by Casével, a masterpiece of peninsular Romanesque jewellery (13th century); the Flemish image of Santa Bárbara, Ingresos (15th century), and an Indo-Portuguese Crucifix from the 17th century, also from this village, as well as the Custody of the basilica itself.
7780-217 Castro Verde
April - October: 10h00 - 12h30 / 14h00 - 18h00
November - March: 9h30 - 12h30 / 14h00 - 17h30