Jardim Botânico da Universidade de Coimbra
Gardens, Parks and Forests
Located in the heart of the city of Coimbra since 1772, on the initiative of the Marquis of Pombal, the Garden stretches over 13 hectares on land mostly donated by the Benedictine friars. Since 2013, it has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Spread over several levels, staircases and avenues, it is one of the most highly regarded botanical gardens in the world.
It was created with the aim of complementing the study of Natural History and Medicine. From 1790 onwards, the role played by the naturalist and botanist Avelar Brotero, who started the first practical school of Botany, stood out. Currently, the space has a special focus on raising awareness of the knowledge and importance of plant diversity, climate change and the sustainable use of resources.
In the educational field, the Garden promotes environmental and cultural education programmes, raising awareness of issues related to environmental issues and the adoption of civic behaviour. It is also a place of tranquillity, full of nooks and crannies that invite you to take a stroll; and a university, being a place for classes in the field and a training entity for internships and theses.
The tropical and cold greenhouses -- where a stream and a waterfall flow --, the Medical and Systematic Schools and its arboretum house more than 1,500 plant species, originating from different latitudes and regions of the globe, making the Garden a true living museum. It also has research greenhouses and nurseries. Together with the open space of garden and forest -- two thirds of the total area made up of free-growing exotic trees --, it has two rooms for science popularisation activities, the Jorge Paiva Science Room and the In Situ Science Room.
Calçada Martim de Freitas, 3000-456 Coimbra | T: +351 239 855 215