Erected on a flat plot of land next to the River Tagus without any other nearby constructions, the Maritime Traffic Control Tower of the Port of Lisbon, in Algés, is a 38-metre high building whose visual impact is enhanced due to its inclination (...)
With an unusual pentagonal layout, the tower in the village of Dornes was built by the Knights Templar on the banks of the River Zêzere as a watchtower and defensive bastion for the region, during the Christian Reconquest.Built from limestone and (...)
Dated from the sixteenth century, it's a rectangular tower with three storeys, topped by rampart walks. Cornice decorated with an undulating line and gargoyles.Attached to the tower are a residential wing and a chapel.
Torre de Grade or Torre de FaroA crenellated tower with a coat of arms craved in stone, with a later building attached.According to some historians, the tower was built by the Moors, in order to look out for approaching Christians. Others claim it (...)
On the left bank of the river Rio Minho, around 5 kilometres from Monção, there is the imposing Tower of Lapela. King Afonso Henriques, the first king of Portugal ordered Senhor do Couto e Abreu, Lourenço de Abreu to build the castle in 1130. Two (...)
The Keep was built on the orders of Dinis on pre-existing foundations in 1324. A tablet stone near the entranceway, bearing the coat of arms of Portugal and Aragon (belonging to Isabel, the king's wife), testifies to its origins.The tower and its (...)
*Please wait*The password recovery instructions will be sent to your e-mail.*E-mail not sent. Try again.
Login using social networks