Towns and Villages
A pretty typically Alentejo village, Fronteira is situated on the left bank of the River Avis, north of Estremoz and southwest of Portalegre.
Traces of human occupation here date back more than 10,000 years, as is evidenced by the numerous megalithic monuments, among which around 30 cromlechs and dolmens of the Megalithic Necropolis of Herdade Grande and the engraved rocks of Herdade dos Pintos are particularly outstanding.
Its foundation is attributed to King Dinis, who was responsible for having the castle built, of which some ruins still remain today.
Of particular note is the site of the Battle of Atoleiros, very close to Fronteira, which was the first in a series of decisive battles for the maintenance of Portuguese independence during the dynastic crisis of 1383-1385, in which, in 1384, the Castilian forces were defeated by the army commanded by Nuno Álvares Pereira.
There are many monuments worthy of record in Fronteira, especially the Mother Church the Churches of Espírito Santo and Senhor dos Mártires, the Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Vila Velha, the Town Hall, the pillory and even the railway station, with its tile panels designed by Leopoldo Battistini depicting scenes of rural life.
Endowed with a lavish surrounding nature and lush vegetation, Fronteira offers beautiful landscapes and the possibility of various sports and leisure activities, including the Ribeira Grande Ecotourism Centre, which has a river beach, pools, footpaths and an astronomical observatory equipped with state-of-the-art technology.