29 Nov 2019
Portugal, World's Leading Destination
Portugal was voted the World’s Leading Destination for the third consecutive year in 2019’s World Travel Awards, held on 28 November in Oman. This award reinforced the Europe's Leading Destination that the country had already won in June.
Turismo de Portugal was considered the World's Leading Tourist Board, also for the third consecutive year.
In a total of twelve awards, Portugal also won the World's Best City Break Destination (Lisbon), World’s Best Island Destination (Madeira) and World’s Best Tourist Attraction in the Adventure category (Passadiços do Paiva).
The World Travel Awards are awarded by industry professionals and are often considered the 'oscars' of tourism. They were first awarded in 1993 to recognise work in the tourism industry to stimulate the competitiveness and quality of tourism. Winners are selected worldwide.
List of prizes awarded to Portugal
• World's Leading Destination - Portugal
• World's Leading Tourist Board - Turismo de Portugal
• World's Leading Island Destination - Madeira
• World's Leading City Break Destination - Lisbon
• World’s Leading Adventure Tourist Attraction - Passadiços do Paiva (Arouca UNESCO Global Geopark)
• World's Leading Conservation Company - Parques de Sintra - Monte da Lua
• World's Leading Golf & Villa Resort - Dunas Douradas Beach Club, Vale de Lobo, Algarve
• World's Leading Classic Hotel - Olissippo Lapa Palace Hotel, Lisbon
• World's Leading Boutique Hotel Operator - Amazing Evolution Management
• World's Leading Airline to Africa - TAP Air Portugal
• World's Leading Airline to South America - TAP Air Portugal
• World's Leading Inflight Magazine - Up Magazine (TAP Air Portugal)
Further information at https://www.worldtravelawards.com/winners/2019/world